Pages

Lunch with the arty crowd - Les artistes à table

August 1 / 1 août




I love to cook.  I had a friend come by the other day when I was doing something other than cooking in the morning- lunch is the big meal in France- and she was shocked. So I when a musician friend  asked me to cook for an artist's residency - just at lunch - at my house - for 10 days - I said yes really really fast.

To start off with the artists were friends I wanted to see anyway and then they were going to pay me to cook.  (I'm cooking anyway!)

It was actually a little bit of a challenge.  There was dancing involved in their residency so I needed them to feel like they had eaten well but not like a nap would be a necessity.  It's really a fine line.

I made lots of salads. I bought lots of great produce from friends who make and grow all kinds of delicious things - I read lots of cookbooks - and it was REALLY fun.  The hard part was being on time.  Then again for people who know me that comes as no surprise.

They started off drinking water but that got looser as time went on (as you can see in the photo of the last day, above).

After all of these lunches came show time. The Colline de l'hirondelle hosted the drinks that followed the presentation of their work in progress ( courageous -poetic - I can't wait to see the end result) and then there was wine!

J'adore cuisiner.  Une copine est passé l'autre jour dans la matinée et elle était choquée de me trouver en train de faire autre chose que cuisiner.  Alors quand un copain musician m'a proposé de me payer pour faire la cuisine pour lui et 5 autres artistes en résidence - chez moi - à midi - pendant 10 jours j'ai dit "oui" très très vite.

Pour commencer, les artistes sont des potes que je veux voir de toute façon et puis ils voulaient me payer pour que je cuisine.  (Je cuisine tous les jours et je n'ai pas encore vu un centime.)

C'était pas aussi simple que je croyais.  Leur résidence était autour de la danse et donc il fallait qu'ils aient bien mangé sans avoir besoin d'une sieste en sortant de table.  C'est délicat.

J'ai fait beaucoup de salades. J'ai acheté des produits super bons de copains éleveurs et maraîchers. J'ai lu plein de livres de cuisine en pensant "light"- et c'était un régal.  Le plus dur était d'être à l'heure - mais pour ceux qui me connaissent c'est pas surprenant.

Ils ont commencé à l'eau mais tout ça s'est laché au fil des jours (voir photos du dernier jour, en haut).

Vendredi soir ils ont présenté leur travail ( courageux - poétique - j'ai hâte de voir la suite). La Colline de l'hirondelle à offert "le pot de l’amitié" après et on a TOUS bu du vin.





And then we had a party at our house.  To celebrate.
Et puis on est tous allé chez nous.  Pour fêter ça.