Pages

House beautiful - La maison déco


When I read design magazines - which is rarely - I have noticed that, at least in France, they place their "design" objects in houses that have vaulted ceilings, beautiful beams or hundred year old walls.   The object in that setting all of a sudden looks SO COOL.  The thing is when you ask yourself,  "What would that look like in MY house?" Your answer is often, "not as cool."  My ceilings are rarely vaulted... I have left behind my beams and hundred year old walls for an ordinary little house with a garden.

So here's my story:

the beautiful old house... I was there last weekend and  everything I set down suddenly looked SO COOL.

I went to visit a wonderful artist friend of mine in her jewel of a house in a teeny village in the mountains.  I set my offering -we were having lunch together- on her mother's counter and it suddenly looked like House Beautiful.  I thought ... (lightbulb moment) this is how advertising works.  Suddenly my bottle looked really cool. So here it is.  Ventilo in a beautiful kitchen.  And then I couldn't help adding my eye candy photos of her house. 

Quand j'ai lu des magasines de décoration - ce qui est rare - j'ai constaté que, au moins en France, les objets sont souvent mis en valeur par leur situation dans une pièce avec un plafond vouté, des poutres apparents ou des murs en pierre centenaires.  Dans ces pièces tout à l'air, d'un coup, TROP BEAU.  Le truc c'est quand tu l'imagine dans ta maison il a l'air de suite moins beau - sans les voutes, les poutres, et les murs centenaires.

Samedi dernier je suis allée dans une de ces maisons ou tout à l'air trop beau et j'ai juste posé ma bouteille sur le plan de travail et il était de suite beaucoup plus cool.  Donc Ventilo dans une cuisine déco.  Et puis juste pour le fun des photos de la maison de ma copine l'artiste ou tout est beau.
My sink at home looks like that.. and there are the beams...

Nina found a box of marbles under the windowsill
there's a swing in the living room - and the orange chairs...

Bracelets - I'm sure they're hand dyed and felted - on the chandelier

Felted rocks - very heavy and fuzzy - so strange to hold
felted knots