Pages

Palissage - Canopy management

june 20 / 20 juin

before -avant (1)


after -après (2)

Field trip!  Vineyard post.  There are some very exciting moments in vineyard life.  I'm not sure that this would qualify as one of them.  I have been doing what I am going to call "canopy management" for lack of a better term.  It's taming wild vines - making order of chaos.  

(photo 1) - The vine - this is a syrah - is on its trellis but it is doing pretty much what it wants - shoots everywhere .. it's a mess.  Syran is known for needing help holding up its canes, hence the trellis, but it needs me too.  I come along and pull the shoots back in the retaining wires and hop! (as they say here) it becomes photo 2.

(photo 2) - This tidy little vine has had all of its long shoots put neatly back inside the trellis wires.   It also means that in a few weeks if I left this poor syrah looking like photo 1 the tractor would break those shoots off driving down the row.   In photo 2 we keep all the leaves to ripen the grapes with no tractor breakage.

Such a deal, I know.  When I was doing it it made me think of trying to get Lili's hair into a pony tail (Lili age 5).  In the vineyard the shoots sometimes break, which is not fun, but at least the vine never gets mad and says, "Mom, you're hurting me!"

Sortie à la vigne!  Il y a des moments d’émotion dans la vie d'une viticultrice.  Je ne suis pas sur que le palissage qualifie.  Mais c'est ce que je fais en ce moment et j'ai un certain satisfaction à faire de l'ordre ou il y avait du chaos avant. 
(photo 1) -La vigne - un syrah - est sur fil mais il fait un peu ce qu'il veut - les sarments partout - c'est le bazar.  La syrah a un port retombant et dont a VRAIMENT besoin des fils - et de moi. Je mets les sarments dans les fils et hop le tracteur peut passe dans la rangé sans casser. Ça devient (photo 2) tout propre. C'est gagné. Toutes ces feuilles vont pouvoir murir les raisins.

Génial, je sais! Ça me fait penser à quand il faut mettre une couette dans les cheveux de Lili ( 5 ans et demi) mais à plus grande échelle.  A la vigne les sarments se cassent de temps en temps mais au moins elle ne râle jamais, "Maman, tu me fais mal!"

Here's another one:
En voila une autre:


before - avant

after - après

Chaos! it has tied a knot in itself - it needs me!
C'est le chaos! Elle s'est fait un nœud - Elle a besoin de moi!

Just reaching out for another shoot... until I come along.
Il pousse à la recherche d'un autre sarment... mais j'arrive pour mettre l'ordre.